Call now for FREE Consultation(561) 444-8822
See Our 5-Star Reviews
To Find Out How We’ve Helped Others.
The American Burn Association estimates that as much as 450,000 burn victims get rushed to the emergency room every year. A whopping 3,400 cases of these burns are fatal.
You might receive compensation for your injuries if you or a loved one is a victim of any kind of burn. Before then, though, it is essential to know a few things about burn injuries.
Anyone can be a victim of burn injuries as long as chemicals, heat, specific liquids, and gases are involved. The following statistics give an overall snapshot of the real impact of burn injuries.
- Children under the age of 10 are most commonly burned after getting scalded by hot water or food. These pediatric scalding burns occur as much as 200,000 times a year.
- Every year, at least 250,000 children require urgent treatment and medication for burn injuries. Out of this number, 15,000 remain hospitalized while 1,100 die.
- Out of the 3400 annual injury deaths in the US, 2550 are caused by house fires, while motor vehicle accidents cause 300 deaths. The other 550 cases are attributed to other causes.
- Men are more likely to be burned. They account for as much as 64% or $4.8 billion of all medically treated burns in the US. By contrast, women account for just 36% or $2.7 billion.
- Fatal burns cost as much as $3 billion every year, in treatment.
Our Verdicts & Settlements
Florida Auto Accident
Form is secure and your info will remain confidential
What Causes Burn Injuries?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, claims that fires or flames cause 44 % of burns. Fires and fire-related injuries stand out as the third most common cause of home deaths in the US. On average, a fire critically injures someone every 30 minutes. It kills someone every 2.5 hours. Further statistics reveal that:
- Scalds from hot liquids cause 33 % of all burn injuries
- 9% of burns can be directly attributed to direct contact with a heat source
- 3% are chemical burns
- 4% of all wounds can be attributed to electrical causes
- 7% can result from other causes
As burn injury attorneys at Felice Trial Attorneys, we have worked with victims of burns caused by:
- Chemical burns
- Electrical burns
- Defective products
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Natural gas accidents
Types of Burns and Treatments
The kind of burn inflicted on an individual depends on to main factors – time and temperature. Although your internal organs may suffer damage from a wound, they are often categorized by the extent of damage caused to the skin.
Categorization can be first degree, second degree, or third degree. Note too that sometimes degrees of burn can be referred to as either full-thickness burns or partial-thickness burns.
- First Degree Burns – They are also referred to as partial-thickness burns. They are known to cause red, non-blistered skin and slight swelling. They heal in a few days and can be easily cared for at home unless there is a severe risk of infection.
- Second Degree Burns – The other name for these burns is partial-thickness burns. They are caused when more than the first skin layer is damaged. They are often accompanied by blisters that can easily burst on their own. They take up to 3 weeks or even longer to heal.
- Third Degree Burns –They are also referred to as full-thickness burns. The burns damage all skin layers and can even hurt internal organs and bones. Treating third-degree burns is costly as the burns also damage nerves to an extent where the victim can’t feel pain or any other sensation.
For a Free Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
Burns can easily result in chronic scarring or even disfigurement. If not treated on time, a victim can suffer blood loss, tetanus, infections, shock, and in some cases, death.
Chemical and electrical burns are particularly severe because they can damage internal organs without any external symptoms.
Compensation after suffering a burn injury depends on many factors. For instance, if you were burned at work, you will most likely be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. You can also file a suit against your employer.
If you were burned while visiting another establishment like a retail store, school, or restaurant, you might be able to sue the owner or the management. Such suits often involve negligence. This means you will have to prove that the establishment owner had a duty of care towards you but breached that duty, in the event you got hurt.
In a burn injury case, the damages that can be claimed may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, disfigurement, scarring, and loss of earning capacity. The specific damages that can be claimed will depend on the individual circumstances of the case, such as the severity of the burn injury, the degree of negligence on the part of the defendant, and the impact of the injury on the victim’s life. It is important to consult with a burn injury lawyer to determine the appropriate damages to claim in a specific case.
To support a burn injury claim, you will need to provide evidence that shows the following:
- The severity of your burn injury and the extent of your damages, including medical bills and lost wages.
- The cause of your burn injury, such as a defective product or someone else’s negligence.
- The negligence or recklessness of the party responsible for your burn injury.
- Any medical reports, diagnoses, and treatment plans related to your burn injury.
- Witness statements, photographs, and other evidence that support your claim.
- Any other documentation that may be relevant to your claims, such as accident reports or insurance policies.
Having a strong legal team can help you gather the necessary evidence and build a strong case for your burn injury claim.
In Florida, the statute of limitations to file a burn injury claim is generally four years from the date of the injury. However, it’s recommended to consult with a personal injury attorney as there can be exceptions or circumstances that can affect the deadline to file a claim.
What Our Clients Have to Say
Kelsey Burke is an amazing attorney.. she was very helpful with the both of my cases. She always stayed in touch with me and always kept me updated with was going on every chances she got. Thank you !!
First of all I want to thank Mr: Felice for his work to get justice in my case, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Mr: Felice is a lawyer dedicated to his work and client, there are few lawyers like him, that if he sell or fear the opposing lawyer he goes out to luhar for his client until the end without surrendering for a second. So, if someone needs a lawyer, I immediately recommend him and his entire team to work for me personally in Palm Beach County and all of Florida. Will be a pleasure to call him not only my lawyer but my friend too.
God Bless You and you team.
Tim and Matt are the best of the best. Lawyers that finally care about you. Lawyers that work for you, listen to you. I could not ask for any better. They actually care about you as a person. You’re not a $ sign. And the rest of the crew is pretty awesome too. These guys work their butts off.
Very professional. They will bend over backwards for you, and attend to you as promptly as humanly possible. The attorneys are aggressive, and will work for you. I highly recommend these attorneys.
I’m extremely thankful that Timothy Felice took my case. He worked tirelessly to make sure I received the best of care. I felt confident in his ability to handle the obstacles that came my way. With each difficulty, Tim always found a way to resolve the issues, to my benefit. I’m so grateful, to have met and worked with Tim, his love for the work that he does, is demonstrated in his ability to handle even the most challenging of cases. If you’re looking for an attorney who really cares and will invest his time and is exceptional in their field, then Timothy Felice is the one you should have on your side. I will be forever grateful for what he did for me and my family and If I ever need representation, he will be the only I could trust.
Felice Trial Attorneys are a powerful combination. Attorneys who will fight for their clients’ rights with proven results. I highly recommend their firm.
Shari was awesome she took her time to explain everything to me and really helped me with everything I really appreciate What she did for me…. Thank you, Shari
Our Practice Areas
- Personal Injury Attorney West Palm Beach
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers West Palm Beach
- West Palm Beach Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
- Slip And Fall Lawyers West Palm Beach
- West Palm Beach Wrongful Death Attorney
- West Palm Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Amusement Park Accident Attorneys
- West Palm Beach Dog Bite Accident Lawyer
- Negligent Security Attorney in West Palm Beach